Thursday 16 February 2017

Grantham Tennis Club, Best staff in the world & My Happy Place | DanielMarshallAdventures

I have mentioned In Other Blog posts about Grantham Tennis Club, but i wanted to go into more detail why it is my happy Place (:

I am not a ashamed to admit that i have very bad depression & anxiety.
Around The beginning of September My Housing Support worker, told me about the scheme put on my the mental health services For Grantham Tennis Club.

The scheme was a 12 week course, where you got to learn how to play tennis, meet new people, have a laugh and get active.

I had not played proper sports since i was about 19, i played a bit of tennis, but was just a mess around, nothing serious.

I remember Joining another scheme but for golf when i was around 17, which was funded and of course free as well.

Its nice when you have the chance to do these things as if you are not a socially talking person or you can not afford paying for a membership.
It gives you the chance to see what its like (:

The first session I believe 20 people turned up, the sessions were 2 hours every Wednesday up until Christmas.

We learned many things that session from, how to watch the ball and catch it, how to control the ball on our ratchets, how to keep a volley going & much more.

What made the experience even better was we all had a break for around 10-15 Minutes to be served with plates full of fresh and juicy Fruits.

Within 3 weeks I had already made great friends with some people, and started to play very competitively.

As the weeks came and go, i started to miss playing more and more.

with 6 weeks left we had already learned so much, and everyone was improving at a fast rate.
each week, was fun but more intense as we started going from learning the different techniques and rules, to using what we learned in point scoring matches.

I remember getting so confused where to stand and move to when the opponents scored a point.
I also remember how rubbish my serves were to the point i had to do under arm ones.

One of things that motivated me so much and the reason it become my happy place was the amazing, staff, that cared for you, made you laugh, and got to know you.

Other things that kept me pushing to get stronger and better was aiming to be playing at the same level as the teachers.

Lewis Rae who is not only a great coach and has Recently Become a level 2 Coach. His skills are outstanding when playing as well, he is still very young but i still great things await him !!!

Then there is James Prior who does so much coaching its unbelievable, when he is not teaching us, he is working with the younger ages, coaching in all conditions of weather.
You can even book sessions to have a 1 to 1 with the coaches to learn even more skills !!!

The last week of the sessions was the most emotionally as the sessions were coming to a end.
Although plans were made to carry on the sessions but at a cost of 3 pounds i was not sure if i would be in a financially state to afford it until the new year started.

The last session was different as we all got to go to a dinner, and awards after (:

Everyone was all smartly dressed, the meals were amazing, and it was now time to give speeches and awards.

As mentioned at the start of the course, everyone who had attended most of the weeks got to receive their very own Tennis racket.

Other Prizes were given for best skills, best appearance etc.
I had won a award for giving a speech that i felt i needed to do.
It was a experience of a life time and i wanted to thank everyone for their hard work & Time.
I also won a award for turning up to every session.
I was a little gutted i did not win anything for tennis skills, it just meant that in 2017 I had to improve my skills and push myself.

I felt so happy to get my ratchet that i took a load of photography, and made a mini photoshoot of myself (:

I started to watch tennis, that i never had before, and was really into watching it,
Lots of times while watching Andy Murray Vs raonic i would be shouting come on Murray.
It was such a close game, and loved watching every second of it. Through Training at Gym, I valved to get stronger, and to give everything i have got.
When the tennis sessions started again .

Since starting back up, I made a friend where we would arrange to play a hour before session starts and a hour after.
we are both competitive, and laugh so much that Wednesdays only became more of a day where i wish i could stay and keep playing.

My skills have improved double to what they were before Christmas, I have a much stronger forehand, i can do 2 handed backhands were before i hated it.
I can get 90 Percent of my serves in and my awareness of where the ball is going to land is a lot sharper as well.

Now that everyone has been going to the sessions for over 15 weeks, its started to get more advanced, more intense.
Using the skills you have already learned, taking them to the next level and learning new things each week as well.

It is still my happy place because, for one day i do not have to think about anything at all, other then just being myself and having the best time of my life.

It is slowly changing me as a person, more confident, more determined, better fitness, will power etc.
All this could not have happened without the continued  support of Grantham Tennis Club.
Grantham is becoming more and more like home because of the unbelievable Community we have.
Grantham maybe small, and may not have a lot to compared to most places, but its the people that really matter (:

My aim for Grantham Tennis Club Is to pay for a membership over the next few months, take part in social events.

Even Practice Most days if i can so my skills are at a good level to enter competitions !!!

I have said it more then once but again Thank You Everyone at Grantham Tennis Club For making me feel happy and giving me that spark again in my life !!!!

If you want to know more about them please check their website out
https://clubspark.lta.org.uk/granthamtennisclub










No comments:

Post a Comment